With a new threat again of a chemical weapons attack in Syria...
The U.S. is sending clear warnings to the Assad regime--Don't do it!
Generally, the threat of using weapons of mass destruction--chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear--have become all too blase!
- Syria uses chemical weapons on its own people.
- Iraq used chemical weapons on Iran and the Kurds.
- Terrorists used chemical weapons in Japan and have threatened similar in UK.
- Russia threatens use of nukes over Crimea or in a conflict with NATO.
- North Korea threatens preemptive nuclear strike on the U.S.
- Iran has threatened attacks on Israel over nukes.
- Biological weapons such as Anthrax have been used against the U.S. and bioterror has been threatened in India.
This list is far from comprehensive--and how very commonplace this is becoming is exactly the problem!
It is one thing (already scary bad) to have weapons that can do the unthinkable, and it is quite another to actually use or threaten to use them in such blase fashion like taking out the garbage or something!
I would add that these days, we also need to add cyber attacks and EMPs to the threats of mass casualty and destructive events.
If we don't ensure that cooler and more stable heads prevail at the notorious red buttons around the world, then the risk of someone eventually doing something very stupid and dangerous to millions--or even billions--of lives is no longer just in the realm of science fiction anymore, but becomes so very ominous and real a disastrous possibility. ;-)
(Source Photo: Andy Blumenthal)