Russia is enormously resurgent (as is China), and they are modernizing their military, while we are "busy" and distracted with ridiculous dysfunctional political infighting here in the U.S.
- Between Republicans and Democrats.
- Between Trump and Hillary.
- Between running mouths and utter corruption.
- Between what our values are and aren't.
- Between racism and cop killings.
- Between sequestrations, filibusters, and government shutdowns.
- Between fighting terrorism and not even being able to say it's name and origin.
- Between support for NATO and our allies and abandoning them.
- Between invading Iraq and Afghanistan and then hasty and wasty retreats.
- Between capturing terrorists and locking them away in Gitmo and then throwing them back out on the streets to plot and attack again.
- Between calls for a strong military, policing the world, and keeping the peace and that being replaced by leadership from behind, disengagement, appeasement, and weakness.
- Between a healthy, vibrant economy and a shallow recession, failing Obamacare, slowing innovation, and ballooning national debt and welfare state.
In the meantime, the Russians, if no one has noticed is moving critically forward in the world.
- Ukraine's Crimea has been gone since 2014, separatists are fighting in the east, and tens of thousands of troops are massing on the border.
- Georgia's Abkhazia and South Ossetia was occupied by Russia in the war in 2008
- Chechnya was taken by Russia in 1999 and Grozny, the capital, was completely leveled.
- Bases around Damascus and in Iran have been built up and are in active use in the civil war in Syria going on today, and Aleppo, the largest city in Syria is becoming apocalyptic.
- The Baltics are under threat by encroaching Russian forces.
- U.S. military ships and planes and being regularly "buzzed" and Russia is flying mock nuclear bombing runs on the U.S.A. and Europe.
- Russia is proposing a counter-alliance to NATO by them, China, India, and arch enemy, Iran.
So while the U.S. spends more on military than the next 8 nations combined, with the U.S. at $610 billion to Russia's much more modest $85 billion, nevertheless, we are falling over our own feet, while Russia is clearly on a determined march.
We can't afford to play politics and suck our thumbs here at home, while Russia is determined and strategic in their moves geopolitically advancing their interests.
We are playing a losing hand and wasting valuable blood and treasure unless we get our democratic house in much needed order, focus, and resolve. ;-)
(Source Photo: Andy Blumenthal)