Before we get too rosy on the State of the Union...
Fascinating article in Forbes on the threat from nuclear armageddon.
- The Russians nuclear missile survivability is improving with missiles "equiped with four warheads that can be independently targeted."
- Typical yield is 500 kilotons--"equivalent to half a million tons of conventional explosives."
- The impact of a single nuclear explosion is that it heats the targeted areas to a "few thousand degrees."
- If/when exploded over a major city, "everything within a one-mile radius is destroyed, heavy damage extends to three miles, and fires will be widespread out to five miles."
- People at ground zero will be annihilated immediately "by the blast effects or a wind-spread firestorm...(initial wind speed 700 mph)"
- Those father from the epicenter will "linger longer before succumbing to the effects of prompt and delayed radiation."
- Due to the magnetic pulse, "electronic devices will be shut down for a hundred miles in every direction."
- How many long range nuclear missiles does Russia have? Over 2,000 (that are known)!
- Just 50, would leave every American city with over half a million people, "uninhabitable."
Now think about the Mullahs of Iran targeting, America, "The Great Satan," should they get this capability.
And do you think a Congressionally, bipartison endorsed, deadline-triggered sanctions on Iran should be vetoed or championed by the administration to stop this threat?
May G-d bless us with the wisdom and strength of character to see through the delay tactics and subterfuge of our enemies and remove this real threat from us.
As to the Russians' strategic nuclear arsenal, we better get moving along on Reagan's Star Wars Strategic Defense Initiative--because 2,000 is a heck of a lot of incoming! ;-)