July 31, 2011
July 30, 2011
Sensors will soon be everywhere--waiting, watching, and working to capture information about you and the environment we inhabit.
July 29, 2011
Often it seems as if so much of our life is spent memorizing things and then trying to remember what we thought we memorized.
July 27, 2011
July 24, 2011
A new proposed method for determining Cost of Living Adjustments (COLA) for people receiving Social Security and federal and military retiree pensions is called the Chained Consumer Price Index (CPI).
July 23, 2011
The first Department of Defense Strategy for Operating in Cyberspace is out (July 2011).
- "DoD is particularly concerned with three areas of potential adversarial activity: theft or exploitation of data; disruption or denial or service of access or service..., and the destructive action--including corruption, manipulation, or direct activity that threatens to destroy or degrade network or connected systems."
- "Cyber threats to U.S. national security go well beyond military targets and affects all aspects of society. Hackers and foreign governments are increasingly able to launch sophisticated intrusions into the networks and systems that control civilian infrastructure."
- "Every year, an amount of intellectual property larger than that contained in the Library of Congress is stolen from networks maintained by U.S. businesses, universities, and government departments and agencies."
July 22, 2011
- You, the "Sender", go online and name and describe the task, including when and where you want it done as well as the maximum you are willing to pay.
- "Runners" are alerted and bid the minimum that they are willing to accept to do the job.
- You review the bids and select one.
- The runner performs the work.
- You review, rate, and reimburse for the work.
July 20, 2011
July 17, 2011
July 16, 2011
July 15, 2011
July 10, 2011
Freedom of speech is one of our most precious rights.
July 9, 2011
Note: A robonaut is currently up on the International Space Station for testing (a precursor to Deep Space Nine).
July 5, 2011
From super-sized televisions and mega data centers to smaller and smaller personal computing devices, we are attracted to the computing on the edge.
Read the article at Public CIO Magazine.
July 4, 2011
July 3, 2011
It is said that one of the key differences between leaders and staff is that leaders are supposed to spend significantly more time on relationships, while staff tend to concentrate on the task at hand.
July 2, 2011