So I keep reading and hearing about Russia preparations for nuclear confrontation with the West and the overall risk rising greatly:
- Investing in new advanced nuclear weapons, such as stealth nukes that can destroy an area the size of Texas or France
- Adding hundreds of new warheads
- Moving nukes to the European doorstep of Poland and Lithuania
- Flying Russian bombers within 40 miles of California coast
- Pulling out of non-proliferation agreements, including producing new intermediate range nuclear cruise missiles
- Violating security pacts to destroy plutonium stockpiles
- Skipping the nuclear security summit
- Conducting massive civil defense drills
- Threatening asymmetrical and painful actions against the West, including first strike
- Building new bases in Ukraine, Syria, and now eyeing Cuba and Vietnam
- Building dozens of new underground bunkers
- Entering a new arms race with the U.S.
Well perhaps this is all just saber-rattling bluster and party-rallying political rhetoric.
The real question is if this is all talk, then why all the costly actions being made?
Self defense experts always say never pull out a weapon unless you seriously intend to use it, so are Russia's intentions to simply counter the West or is it going to go way beyond that. ;-)
(Source Photo: Andy Blumenthal)