If you have a pulse and have been to the stores or even shopping online lately (hey, it's the holidays so of course you have), you know that prices are on the rise.
And this is amazing, because--
Major factors point to pricing that should be driven down:
- Commodities--which are the basic raw materials from agriculture to oil and gas and metals and mining--are at a more than 16-year low!
- Manufacturing has moved to low cost sourcing countries (China, India, Vietnam, Africa, etc.)
- Technology continues to benefit us in terms of cost-efficiencies from the transformation to robotics and automation.
Yet, we keep on seeing prices move ever higher:
Just a few examples...
- "Housing market is on fire" with existing home prices exceeding the pre-recession peak!
- "Car prices at records highs - and rising"
- "Food prices are sky high"--it's not your imagination.
- Fashion "prices rising so fast"
- Health care spending is "again accelerating"
- "College costs are so high and rising."
Forget the B.S. of the basket of inflation stats your being feed...you know that your bills are going up, while your income is stagnant.
The real question is why is the middle class always getting milked--whose interest does it serve? ;-)
(Source Photo: Andy Blumenthal)