So periodically, I like to take a quick pulse of America.
So I find a way to ask someone(s) what they are seeing and experiencing, and what they think about what's going on in Washington, D.C.
So this time, I asked someone about whether they watched the State Of The Union this week.
They said (as if they heard this little mnemonic from others before), "because, they are all 'POLI-TRICK-IANS!'"
I said, well that's cute, but what do you mean?
This is what they said (paraphrasing):
- They don't speak the truth.
- They just say what they think people want to hear.
- It's all just fighting between the (political) parties.
- It's not really about the people.
- It's not about making a difference, anymore [just about being in and keeping power].
Wow, this was pretty powerful.
I could sense the anger and frustration.
Also, the disillusionment.
Checking in on the ratings, this seemed to jive with CNN (and other news media) saying, "State of the Union was President's Lowest-Rated Yet."
According to Nielsen only 31.7 million people tuned in...that's out of a current U.S. population of 324 million!
On the positive side, the number of tweets was way up to 2.6 million during the hour-long address--how sweet those tweets.
Seriously though, we are here to serve the people...how do we get back their respect?
I suspect that the answer revolves around the following:
- We need to turn from fighting each other to fighting our real enemies like the threat from Islamist Terrorism and Weapons of Mass Destruction.
- We need to break the gridlock and get something done (lot's of things done)!
- We need to stop the political cliches and talk from the heart to the heart.
- We need to stop thinking about ourselves and focus on the people--all the people (not the middle-class versus the rich, not main street from wall street, not the color or race that you are or aren't)!
- We need to tackle the many big problems we are facing--the national debt, national defense (including cybersecurity), environmental sustainability, raising the level of housing, food, medical care, and education for all, and of course, everything technology and innovation!
We need to go from a perception of poli-trick-ians to genuine representatives and leaders of the people for the people. ;-)
(Source Photo: Andy Blumenthal)