Really liked this performance measurement and transparency at Home Depot.
Here are their store performance measures prominently displayed.
Not a high-tech solution, but every measure has its place and metrics.
- Looks at friendly customer service.
- Tracks speed of checkout.
- Measures accuracy of transactions.
This lines up well with the management adage that "you can't manage what you don't measure."
- Identify, collaboratively, your key drivers of performance
- Determine whether/how you can measure them efficiently (i.e. qualitatively, quantitatively)
- Set realistic, stretch targets for the organization
- Communicate the goals and measures, 360 degrees
- Regularly capture the measures and make the metrics transparent
- Recognize and reward success and course correct when necessary
- Reevaluate measures and goals over time to ensure they are still relevant
Wash, rinse, repeat for continuous improvement. ;-)
(Source Photo: Dannielle Blumenthal)