SHIFT HAPPENS (a.k.a. "Did You Know?") are a series of terrific videos that illuminate the amazing times of social and technological change we are living in.
(This is one of the videos)
We are fortunate to be alive today!
But we must be aware of all the change happening around us and PREPARE ourselves for a very different future.
Some interesting tidbits from this video that should make you think:
- China will soon be the #1 English-speaking country in the world.
- The 25% of India's population with the highest IQs is greater than the TOTAL population of the U.S.
- The top 10 in-demand jobs in 2010, did NOT exist in 2004.
- Today's learners will have 10-14 jobs by the age of 38!
- 1 in 4 workers have been in their jobs LESS THAN a year.
- We are currently preparing students for jobs that don't yet exist, using technologies that haven't been invented yet, in order to solve problems we don't even know are problems yet.
- The number of text messages sent and received every day exceeds the TOTAL population of the planet.
- There are 31 billion searches on google every MONTH.
- 4 EXABYTES of unique information will be generated this year.
- A weeks worth of the New York Times contains more information than a person was likely to come across in a LIFETIME in the 18th century.
- By 2049 a $1000 computer will exceed the computational capabilities of the ENTIRE human species.
All in all, the world is shifting eastward, jobs are becoming more tenuous, information is EXPLODING, and technology is SURPASSING all known boundaries.
What will the world be like in 2, 5, 10, 20, 50 years? Marvelous to be sure!
But are we prepared for all the change is that is coming LIGHT SPEED at us?
Are we getting out in front of it--can we?
It strikes me that either we harness the POWER of all the change or else we risk being OVERCOME by it.
Shift happens, YES--These are great and challenging times for us to manage to and an awesome RESPONSIBILITY.